Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Activision Taking Over the World?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Activision Taking Over the World? Empty Activision Taking Over the World? Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:08 pm

Admin

Admin
Megalixir
Megalixir

Kotick: Sony, MS, EA will 'struggle' to challenge us in future
Tuesday 21-Sep-2010 1:00 PM Exec says Activision is no longer competing with console publishers

Activision boss Bobby Kotick has claimed that traditional console companies such as Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo face a "struggle" to "figure out" an online future - one which the US publisher has already cracked.

In yet more incendiary comments about rival companies, Kotick said that because of Activision's online dominance, it no longer considers itself competing with "console dependant companies".

Indeed, Kotick said that Activision's closest competitor in the online space was Facebook.

"Because we're in a lot of different businesses, we have a lot of different competitors," Kotick told the America Merrill Lynch Media, Comms and Entertainment conference.

"Our competitor online [is] Facebook in some respects. Even though they don't create content, they provide it. There are a lot of new social gaming companies that are emerging and take mindshare - not from our consumer, [because they're] a different demographic. But there's the potential that some of the social games will start appealing to our consumers so we're making a lot of investments in that area.

"But the traditional companies - the Electronic Arts, or Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo or Disney - that make console-based video games, are going to really struggle [in future] to figure out how to get into these online business we're in today."

Kotick claimed that Activision's 2007 'merger' with Vivendi - which saw the French media powerhouse effectively buy the US publisher - has put it in a more secure position than any other games company, largely thanks to Blizzard's infrastructure.

"It was why we sold control of our company to Vivendi," he added. "We recognised that developing all of the capabilities that Blizzard had ourselves would probably put us in a place where we would have... not [only] a decline in our operating margin, but no operating margin. We would invest billions of dollars in all this online capability - and likely actually not produce a great result.

"There [was] so much built-up expertise at Blizzard when we did this merger - that we're now applying to Call Of Duty, Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero - that we otherwise wouldn't have had access to. That puts us in a much better position than many of the very console-dependant companies we used to compete against."

Used to compete against. Bobby's above all that now.

Kotick used his presentation to claim that Activision is no longer simply aiming to be the "biggest interactive entertainment company" - but rather the "biggest entertainment company". As in, full stop. Wowsers.

Activision Taking Over the World? FqpEY

2Activision Taking Over the World? Empty Re: Activision Taking Over the World? Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:10 pm

blackstorm

Onion Knight
Onion Knight

It's almost like this guy is trolling the video game industry. I can't wait for ActiBlizzard's tired IPs to die.

3Activision Taking Over the World? Empty Re: Activision Taking Over the World? Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:06 pm

Orihime

Orihime
Behemoth
Behemoth

Wow, that guy is like...a tool of the video game industry. After reading that, I just want to punch him in the face. Haha.

4Activision Taking Over the World? Empty Re: Activision Taking Over the World? Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:35 am

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor
Onion Knight
Onion Knight

He has a record of pissing people off with stupid comments.

5Activision Taking Over the World? Empty Re: Activision Taking Over the World? Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:38 am

Mobius

Mobius
Spoony Bard
Spoony Bard

He's rumored to have plans to charge a monthly fee for all of Activision's IPs -

Starcraft II - Monthly Fee

CoD - Monthly Fee

Guitar Hero - Monthly Fee

Tony Hawk, Shawn White, etc. - Monthly Fee

Activision Taking Over the World? 15o6jxv

6Activision Taking Over the World? Empty Re: Activision Taking Over the World? Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:15 am

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor
Onion Knight
Onion Knight

I'd be in support of that depending on how much it is and what they'll provide.

I loved CoD2 MW when it launched and played online for months, but it was a bug ridden piece of shit eventually and I quit. If a subscription fee means a less buggy online experience and faster squashing of said bugs instead of weeks or months before a bug is killed I'd be willing to shell out $5 a month or so. I'm pretty sure this is going to be the future for games that have big online followings.

7Activision Taking Over the World? Empty Re: Activision Taking Over the World? Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:17 am

blackstorm

Onion Knight
Onion Knight

I think a monthly fee for Starcraft 2 would be disastrous, but you can see the seeds of microtransactions in how limited player created content is. They should be content with the three "expansions." Infinity Ward was tasked with creating the CoD MMO but Activision screwed any chance of that being good. I don't see Guitar Hero going mmo with Rock Band as competition.

All that said, I truly hope they do go through with any and all of that so they all die faster.

8Activision Taking Over the World? Empty Re: Activision Taking Over the World? Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:58 am

Orihime

Orihime
Behemoth
Behemoth

Lol Guitar Hero MMO? How the hell would that even work? xD

9Activision Taking Over the World? Empty Re: Activision Taking Over the World? Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:19 pm

blackstorm

Onion Knight
Onion Knight

[Kotick Mode]
You make your avatar and they can microtransaction clothes/instruments. You pay $9.99 a month for a base catalog, with $1-$3/month addon packs. You get a scoreboard, different venues, online multiplayer, chatrooms.
[/Kotick Mode/]

Basically, what they already do every time they release Yet Another Guitar Hero game, but it's one continuous game with an online platform. I mean, I guess I can see the appeal if you're shortsighted and a big GH fan, but the good thing about actual games is you can fire them up for a quick jam without worrying about resubbing. If consumers let publishers take more and more control away from them, more fool them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]